Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Epic

What a game. Despite being played by two middle of the pack teams, this oddly had a playoff feel to it; at least for those in the crowd, despite a good deal of empty seats. (I'd say a little over 3/4 full) Quite a few Minnesota fans, including some brave ones wearing Viking apparel. (I counted one proud purple Favre jerseys and two AD's) There was great energy, large impart to the physical game the Stars and Wild were playing. The only thing that confused me a bit was the changing of the Wild net minder's last name when the puck entered the offensive zone. Initially I figured they were trying to psyche him out, but if that was the case, why isn't it done at every home game, no matter the opponent? Maybe it's just a Minnesota thing. First and foremost I want to reiterate something I said a few times at the game. The Stars outscored the Cowboys. Dallas wins 4-3 in Auld's second game as trial goalie. Former Star Antti Miettinen nets two for the Wild, and Modano scored his 551st goal. (Side note, Modano is 25th on the all-time scoring list. I figured he'd be higher considering he's the highest scoring American born player; really shows how much of a minority we are in this league.) By far the best part of this game was Steve Ott getting into a fight with Josh Harding. I've always wanted to see a goalie fight, and this could be the closest I'll ever see. The Stars begin a 3 game road trip, where they can't seem to pull their act together. Not having Morrow-Ribiero-Lehtinen will hurt, but the rest of the team is becoming pretty scrappy, and so long as Richards stays hot and Auld can keep us in games, you have to like our chances.

-I'm not a big Todd Beruzzi fan, but he's got some moves.
-One of the best goals I've ever seen. ESPN described it as And 1 Hockey Style
-Can't really tell, but there's a girl signing the National Anthem.

3 comments:

  1. Nice links. I enjoyed the goalie fight I wish I had gone to the game. Glad to see you're back to form with a whole post for one game. Maybe we can see the Stars win more than two games in a row this week. I'm glad Auld has won two games but we did have a 4-0 lead and then he gave up three goals.
    -John Swindle

    ReplyDelete
  2. They always say a 3+ goal lead is the worst to have, since the other team gets desperate. I remember the first game after the lockout the Stars were playing the Kings, we were down by 3, and came back. But regardless, we did get soft at the end

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. Except that my team bites it. And that ECHL goal was sick.

    ReplyDelete