Friday, November 13, 2009

View From Nick's Sports Grill

This was my first time watching a televised hockey game without sound (Although hearing five interceptions by Cutler was music to my ears, just not to my fantasy team). I drank root beer. Ate french fries, buffalo shrimp, and fried pickles. Enjoyed great company. Gave my number to an attractive waitress. All in all, a great night. Oh I almost forgot, the Stars finally won a shootout. I won't complain about the victory, but it must be taken with a grain of sand. Or is it salt. To be honest I have no idea how that phrase goes, not to mention what it means. But the point I'm trying to make is that it would have been very nice to win this one in regulation, that way division leading San Jose wouldn't have picked up a point. Either way, seven points behind is better than eight. This was a game where a mistimed bathroom break could ruin the game, since the scoring happened in two quick bursts.

First Period (0-0)
No Scoring
Second Period (0-2)
Pending my math, San Jose scored twice in a two minute and eleven second span, by Heatley and Clowe. Heatley was San Jose's big off season move, and he's paying dividends already.
Third Period (2-2)
Let the flukes begin. James Neal returned to the lineup tonight, giving the team a much needed spark. Interestingly enough, it wasn't with his wicked shooting ability or heavy hitting. Instead, he shot the puck off a defender's skate, popping it into the air and into the net. Modano kept the good times going a minute and forty five seconds later (pending my math) by (finally) scoring his first of the season.
Shootout (3-2)
Marty Turco topped off a great game with some great saves in the shootout, showing the world he has one of the best poke checks in the league. Neal hit the post for I believe the third shoot out in a row. What Dallas needed was a hero. Who would answer the call? Morrow? Ribeiro? Richards? Nay, the man who came through was Stephane Robidas, successful in his first ever penalty shot. Why did Crawford pick him to shoot? Beats me. Maybe he just wanted to change it up. Either way, we got the second point. Hooray.


Up Next:
The Stars travel to Phoenix to take on the Coyotes in yet another big game. No, they aren't too scary of a team, the drama is in the coach. Good ole Dave Tippett faces his former team for the first time since departing. I'll take Dallas over Phoenix in a close game, 3-2

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see this next matchup against Tippett. Which brings me to my theory of why he was hired. I believe that the Phoenix Bankruptcies might have only hired him since we're technically still paying him just so they can save some money. Also I'm amazed that there are now 5 followers and I'm the only one that comments. Let's get some chatter going on here!
    -John Swindle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point, I never really thought about that. Good article you posted about the scoring. I'm not sure if it's every game or not but I've seen that some games they do a live chat with the ESPN Dallas blogger for the Stars. I'll look more into it but I think that'd be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be pretty cool! I did one of the ESPN live chats for a USA world cup qualifier that wasn't being broadcasted and it was pretty cool.
    -John Swindle

    ReplyDelete